Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Online Friends

Today I lost my first on-line friend to cancer.
For those of you who were online in the mid 90's -
you'll remember that it was a pretty emtpy place.
So meeting someone from another part of the world
was a big thing.
There were a few groups online and everything was fun
and new. We all learnt to make webpages, graphics, write
html,and leave little gifs in guestbooks together.
Later we discovered ICQ and messenger and webrings.
We helped each other find our way around and meet new people
along the way. Suddenly the world was a much smaller
place.
My dear friend and I never met in person, but we called
each other on the phone and talked for hours, sent presents
in the mail and got to know each other as if we were neighbors.
She took the meaning of internet friends to a whole new level by getting in
her car and travelling around the United States visiting people
she had made online!
I will miss her enormously.
I'm also grateful that I got to know her.
So rest in peace, dear friend.
Thank you for being there and thank you for being a friend.
L

7 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

That is very sweet Liberty Belle, and endearingly written, and understandably from your heart.

May she rest in peace.

LibertyBelle said...

Thanks hon.

Hootin Anni said...

You've been added to the blogroll!!! :o)

Unknown said...

I did not know Polly, but I read your tribute to her and she seemed like a lovely woman.

My thoughts are with you today, LibertyBelle!

Take care...

Heart of Rachel said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. A lovely tribute to your friend.

thewriterslife said...

Awww...so sorry to hear this, Liberty Bell. Sending healing energy and lots of ((((HUGS)))) your way!

Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

Friends are missed however they are made. So sorry.